Honey Badger named BG in a Johannesburg Zoo has become the first animal in the world to have an active Twitter account. BG thanks to its high-tech enclosure is the zoo’s official social media voice. The zoo selected honey badger for the task because of its human friendly behavior and its active lifestyle – badger is lively during day and night. BG began tweeting just on 14 June and in the past fortnight it has become a sensation on twitter with more than 2 000 followers already.
BG’s enclosure in the zoo has been installed with wireless motion-activated, animal-friendly sensors developed by Hellocomputer. The sensors are placed at several locations within the enclosure and are connected to an on-site base station located on the outside of BG’s enclosed space. The base station is connected to the agency server, which has a database of pre-written tweets, which are triggered by the movement of the badger. When BG touches a sensor in his territory, a relevant message (of what it is doing) is tweeted. You can follow BG at @zootweetslive or #tweetingbadger.
Latest posts by Bharat (see all)
- Own a PAL-V One flying car for $295,000 - December 5, 2013
- Shaggo Grom: World’s first carpet-embedded skateboard - December 5, 2013
- Honda’s airbag-equipped Smartphone Case N means your phone will survive any fall - December 5, 2013
- 6-feet, 300 pound Atlas Robot to save lives in disasters - December 3, 2013
- Hardwrk Massive Dock for iPhone is handmade from concrete - November 27, 2013