Honey Badger named BG in a Johannesburg Zoo has become the first animal in the world to have an active Twitter account. BG thanks to its high-tech enclosure is the zoo’s official social media voice. The zoo selected honey badger for the task because of its human friendly behavior and its active lifestyle – badger is lively during day and night. BG began tweeting just on 14 June and in the past fortnight it has become a sensation on twitter with more than 2 000 followers already.
BG’s enclosure in the zoo has been installed with wireless motion-activated, animal-friendly sensors developed by Hellocomputer. The sensors are placed at several locations within the enclosure and are connected to an on-site base station located on the outside of BG’s enclosed space. The base station is connected to the agency server, which has a database of pre-written tweets, which are triggered by the movement of the badger. When BG touches a sensor in his territory, a relevant message (of what it is doing) is tweeted. You can follow BG at @zootweetslive or #tweetingbadger.
Latest posts by Bharat (see all)
- Shockwave, world’s fastest jet-powered truck hits speeds approaching 400mph - February 18, 2014
- CES 2014: Dell tops out 28-inch UltraSharp 4K monitor for $699 - January 10, 2014
- CES 2014: LaCie Culbuto Flash Drive springs back up when knocked down - January 9, 2014
- CES 2014: Ultra-low power AMD Nano PC measures as small as a smartphone - January 9, 2014
- CES 2014: Sony Xperia Z1S smart, waterproof flagship Android smartphone on T-Mobile - January 8, 2014